Thursday, December 23, 2010

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Last month, I have been quite critical of the TSA, and rightly so, and after reading the news, I admit, I was apprehensive about flying. In the end, I must give them a tip of the cap as I saw they did a revamping of customer service since the last time I flew.

Both times, it was a pleasant experience. Departing from EWR, the only additional methods (in addition to the magnetometer and putting baggage and other materials through the x-ray machine) they used were the following: an upper body backhand patdown, and a search of my small bag as I had a myriad of chargers and portable electronics (e.g. GPS, iPod, BlackBerry, etc) in the bag. They explained in both cases what they were doing and apologized for delaying me. The female agent who searched my bag even offered to assist me in repacking it. I will make every effort to fly out of there early again (not just because of my TSA experience, but a drop in flight delays as EWR is infamous for delays due to traffic) In departing MCO, there were no additional methods used and I was able to quickly pass through before heading to the airside shuttle. Their infamous security lines were also not exceedingly long. The TSA at MCO were also rather friendly.

Both airports were using the body scanners, but in both cases, I was not required to go through them and did not have to opt-out for a public patdown, which I intended to do.

Again, this was a positive experience and I hope it continues for when I travel in 2011 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment