Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wealth is bad? I don't think so...

After the events of this weekend and driving home last night from a really awesome Two Rivers area Primary Night Party, I got to thinking. Don't ask me why, but I tend to pontificate over various issues while driving. The one thing that had popped into my head last night was the topic of wealth and I started asking myself, "Why do some consider wealth a bad thing?"

Full disclosure: I am not independently wealthy and I hold no animus or disdain for anyone who is wealthy. It would be nice if The Calling to Lead or any subsequent novels I may write allow me to earn more, but until then, like most Americans, I work hard, I save, I invest and I think about what lies ahead tomorrow, which forms my spending and saving habits.

As with most things in life, past and current experiences have formed my thinking on this issue.

I distinctly remember that when I first entered education, I substitute/long term taught in a high school located an affluent area of the Jersey Shore while I was doing my first Masters Degree. When I look back on my career in education, this is one of the favorite schools with which I was associated. I came into the profession a novice educator with confidence that I could not only teach subject material to young adults but also positively influence them in some manner. What I experienced at this school was a joy, a pleasure and made me look forward to going there every day. These young adults gave me the confidence that I could be an effective educator, they hold a special place in my heart and I thank them every day. From friends, other educators and professors, I heard the comments:

- "That's not the real word."
- "Those kids live in a bubble."
- "They're a bunch of spoiled brats."
- "They're set in life thanks to their mommies and daddies."
- "Are their cars better than the cars in the teachers' lot?"
- "What's the biggest tragedy in there? A fight between boyfriend and girlfriend?"

These are just some of the comments, others were more egregious and I don't need to put them here...you can only imagine! Whenever I heard them, not only did I call the people out who made them, but I found them condescending, nasty, and dripping with jealousy and envy. Those who commented knew nothing about their lives, about their personalities, about their families. Their comments are about pre-conceived notions about wealth. Again, the students in this school do not fit the stereotype of "the rich kid," all the parents with whom I associated, collaborated and conversed were incredible people and it's no surprise they raised the children they did. I am proud to be in touch with many of these former students, whether on facebook or email. And you know what, the kids notice it. I recall one interaction with a student where it was:

Student: "Mr. C, I just got my license. Let me show you!"
Me: "Congrats (I'm leaving the name out), I'm so happy for you. Getting a car."
Student: "Yes! A Land Rover. I'm so excited!"
Me: "That's great! Just remember to drive safely and know that you are responsible for the other passengers in your car. Always be sure to make good decisions behind the wheel."

This student approached me a few days later, "You know Mr. C, I have to say thank you. When we talked about my license the other day, you said nothing about the car and did not make a remark about what kind of car it is or the fact that it's a luxury car. It meant so much that you were more concerned with my safety than what I was driving. I really appreciate it."

Remember, words matter and teenagers absolutely pick up on this. This treatment is not unique to this building and educators would be wise to leave their pre-conceived notions at the door and instead, realize what an honor and privilege it is to teach these students. As I said earlier, I positively look back and reflect of my time in this school and interacting with these young adults.

Present day, we just went through a primary here in the 6th, and I have to say it, I was very upset to see the opposition's supporters use Diane Gooch's wealth as a club with which to hit her, spreading falsehoods and rumors over the blogosphere. It was an unfair attack and an ugly way to get votes. (Votes are still being counted so I don't think it's fair to use the term win.) These people were used by the Democrats to parrot their same old attacks (or maybe they just plagiarized their attacks) on wealth and I have to say it's an unfortunate day when the opposition uses a candidate's wealth as a form of attack. With Diane Gooch, she and her husband did not start out wealthy. They worked hard, found their niche in the economy, made their money honestly, and frankly, are a personification of the American Dream. We should not attack them, we should say "God Bless."

I return to my original question when examining why people have come to hate wealth:

1. Jealousy: The "have-nots" see what the "haves" possess and think their situation unfair. Could the have-nots take it upon themselves to have more? Are they working to their fullest potential?
2. The Blame Game: Instead of taking responsibility, we have a habit in our society of blaming others for our misfortune or underachievement. This does not unite and ends up drawing lines, dividing Americans by social status and building contempt between the different statuses. This Blame Game is not only an action of individuals, but certain groups and politicians, which collectively attack the wealthy.
3. Not forming our own opinions: With the click of a mouse, we, in 2010, can instantly gain information. This information may lead us to our conclusions, we may not seek out alternative viewpoints and this is definitely the case with how people feel about the rich.


I don't judge a person by the size of their wallet, but the content of their character. As long as the wealthy make their money honestly, follow the laws in making a living, help society because of their position, give back in some form or another, and donate to various charities, (are you listening Mr. Vice President?) I have no problem with them and I don't think we, as Americans, should either. As a result of their financial situation, those who are wealthier have the ability to step up to become leaders of some sort, whether in their chosen field, in their community or for a charity in which they have a passion, and I, like most Americans, hope to see them take on that responsibility. I have no problem with them or the fact that they are wealthy. They are the group that can create jobs, keep businesses and industries afloat, and if we didn't have those who succeeded in our capitalist system, we wouldn't have had the successes we have over the years in the United States of America!

No comments:

Post a Comment