Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Sad Commentary by Konstantin Ravvin

Take a look at the following video of a recent cheating scandal at the University of Central Florida, and be prepared to be sickened.

The above quote by Konstantin Ravvin, University of Central Florida senior, makes me sick to my stomach:
"This is college. Everyone cheats. Everyone cheats in life, in general...they're making a witch hunt out of absolutely nothing as if it were to teach us some kind of moral lesson."
Got a message for you, Konstantin. I have never cheated in life, lied to advance myself or hurt someone to advance myself, so with my personal experience, I strongly disagree with your contention. All with whom I interact have followed a similar path to mine. I find it very sad that this young man's teachers and parents were not a bigger influence on him and would find it an even bigger disgrace if he gets a job fresh out of college before someone else who played by the rules and didn't "cheat in life."

Let's look at this scandal at UCF in a larger context. While I am happy this professor is making all his students re-take the midterm, I disagree with his actions in regard to the cheating students. Every student who participated, confession or no confession, should face larger consequences by the UCF Administration and should not get off easy with an ethics seminar (as those who confess will). These students willingly committed an act of academic dishonesty and knew the consequences before going in, therefore, they should face the consequences. This is a slap in the face to those who don't "cheat in life" and have listened to and accepted the values lesson imparted on to them by their parents and teachers.

As a high school educator, I have always taken a hard line against cheating and/or academic dishonesty. On day one, I teach them about the definitions of the various forms of academic dishonesty, show them how I discover academic dishonesty, I discuss with them the real world consequences of academic dishonesty, and then I explain to them my policy. If I catch them participating in or acting as an accomplice in any form of academic dishonesty, not only do I enforce the school's policy, but they receive a failing grade on the particular assignment and they can never use me as a reference or recommender for participation in any honor society, admission to an institution of higher education or application for a job.

Some administrators or supervisors I have worked under or interviewed with have questioned, challenged or criticized my perspective, stating that I take a hard line. In response I tell them two things:

1) After six years, my policy must be effective because I HAVE NEVER CAUGHT A STUDENT IN MY CLASS ATTEMPTING TO COMMIT ACADEMIC DISHONESTY. This is because I hold them to a standard, tell them why I take this stand, teach them real-world consequences and teach them the proper forms of academic honesty. They know the rules, their parents know the rules, and both know that I have many higher education connections, so they do not attempt to test me.

2) Educators, whether classroom teachers or administrators, must remember they have a cooperative role in teaching tomorrow's leaders who may one day hold positions of influence. To take on this responsibility, they must be properly prepared with not only a strong values system that will facilitate success in life, but we also must realize it is our responsibility to pass these values down to the next generation so they may have the knowledge to do the same. If we, as educators, compromise our values by looking the other way when enforcing academic dishonesty, we are teaching our students that cheating is acceptable in society and thus begins a dangerous cycle detrimental to American society.

Whether educator, parent, or citizen who may interact with young people, I hope you are sickened by the UCF Cheating Scandal, as well as Konstantin Ravvin's comments, and this impacts you in some fashion to take a forceful role in positively preparing these young people to become tomorrow's leaders.

12 comments:

  1. You have never caught a student, that doesn't mean they don't cheat. Seriously, get over yourself.

    Your students cheat, they're just smarter than you. That's why they don't get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disappointed by Ravvin's comments.

    But for you to think no one has cheated in your classroom is naive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the rise in technology, it can be argued that committing academic dishonesty has become easier. While that may be the case, this rise in technology has also assisted educators in policing against and catching students who commit academic dishonesty. Between turnitin.com, Google searches of "red flag" passages, following up on sources, as well as acting in a vigilant manner during examinations, I have utilized these methods to battle against academic dishonesty. There are other methods I use that have been successful.

    Educators need to take a hard stand on this and it is my hope their doing so can be a positive force of change in education, as well as many young adults who may be tomorrow's leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was stunned by Ravvin's comments as well. He was completely oblivious to the fact that HE IS THE PROBLEM. As I was joking with my daughter: Step 1) Don't be an amoral weasel. Step 2) If you ARE going to be an amoral weasel, don't brag about it on national television...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Konstantin Ravvin what a disgusting person. Does he cheat on his girlfriends and family as easily as he cheats in life?
    His destiny is to be working selling used cars or timeshares somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Types like Ravvin might just fit right into America's corporate scum bucket. They're probably recruiting this type of bottom-dweller as we speak.

    EXPEL THEM ALL. Don't keep enabling these mental midgets by giving them a pass just because MOST OF THE CLASS would fail. They ARE failures. Now they'll learn to fake remorse, pay a fine/federal inspector, & hey, cheating pays off as long as you jump the right hoops. Important skills, all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was chilling to watch the video of this kid debasing himself and the entire student body on national news. Without a care or a clue. :[

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the comment to expel all the cheating students.
    Let's also remember Ravvin's full name in case he applies for a job in our companies. No way loser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reason they don't expel 200 students is the same reason schools rarely expel anyone they catch cheating, money. If the cheater gets a lawyer and fights then it costs the school alot of money (imagine 200 lawyers). Plus the school wants students, they want to get paid, the whole system is messed up.

    They should all get the boot. In fact schools (whether you like religion or not) like Brigham Young University, where they teach morals as much as they teach other subjects are of more and more value. UCFs problem isn't cheating students, or not catching enough of them, or not punishing, UCF's problem is they don't teach the morals and values - they hold those as a separate matter not to be touched or discussed. Of course more and more people are cheating, morals aren't totally innate - you beat them out of government and the shcool system then eventually you pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments and contributions!

    Howard: Very good point K-O-N-S-T-A-N-T-I-N R-A-V-V-I-N !!! And I wonder what is on his facebook...

    MKR: From experience, I can tell you it can get rather litigious at the high school level and I have observed parents who have tried to "fight the system" by getting their attorneys involved to defend the cheating student. These parents are enablers and are not doing their children any service by getting them out of their jams. Fortunately in schools where I've taught, administrations have backbones and will "go to the mattresses to defend their principles and procedures.

    In our society, you'd think that parents could teach those morals and values, but sadly, that always isn't the case. And that is the reason why I agree that they need to be taught to students, whether at the high school or college levels, and it can be done in a way that transcends religion. In an earlier post, I spoke of character education and how we see it lacking in those we elect to office. It is my hope that if we can teach students while they are young, they will be more likely to practice positive character traits in their adult lives.

    I again harken back to something I posted earlier about principles (and how standing behind them apply to today's political situation) and strongly feel that if I don't stand behind them, I am hurting myself. This is why I continue to intensively check for students committing academic dishonesty. Furthermore, if I ever do catch them in the future, it is my hope that they learn from their mistakes on how cheating, etc can negatively affect them in their post-secondary experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ravin was absolutely correct. Everyone cheats all the time. People will do whatever the hell the can to get ahead if they think they won't get caught. No one is bound by any ethical code. This is America baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "People will do whatever the hell the can to get ahead if they think they won't get caught."

    In response to that quote and your comment, I disagree that this applies to all. It may to some and that is unfortunate, but not to all.

    While I will stand behind my principles and values, it is my hope that Americans on a larger scale, also adopt strong principles relating to academic honesty, cheating and hurting someone to get ahead. If we do this, and as leaders, inspire the next generations to do the same, while serverly punishing those who do not, we can have an influence to lead by example and see these future generations reclaim the American Dream that is lost with individuals like Konstantin Ravvin.

    ReplyDelete