Monday, October 18, 2010

Update from New Jersey's 12th


When I was switching through the channels this morning, a negative add by Rush Holt done against Scott Sipprelle aired. This ad is conspicuously absent from YouTube, as well as Rush Holt's website, and after watching it, I know why...it's untrue! It was a 30 second ad with the ominous voiceover talking about Scott Sipprelle's position on green jobs and global warming. After the voiceover asked the question, a grainy video of Scott appeared where he said "I Don't Know and I Don't Care," then in closing, asking some snarky rhetorical question asking voters if they want their Congressman to care. The ad tried to portray Scott as mean and apathetic.

Knowing Scott and knowing that's not his personality, I researched this further to find that video, as I suspected his words were taken out of context. And was I right! Scott gave this speech (I recommend you don't watch the video and instead listen to it, as the author of the video decided to insert his own nasty text commentary) to the Americans for Prosperity 2010 Candidates Forum and was asked the question, "What are your thoughts on global warming and 'Cap and Trade' laws?" Scott gave an answer where he basically said they are detrimental to job creation, which is the number one priority on which Congress must work. The "I don't know and I don't care" came in reference to global warming, as he was hitting home the point that 'Cap and Trade' laws will continue act as the Federal Government getting in the way of the private sector's creation of jobs.

This ad was a total cheap shot and I equate it with Alan Grayson's ad where he took the words his opponent, Daniel Webster, fully out of context, chopping them up to make him somebody he's not.

Seeing this ad gave me further incentive to watch, in person, Scott Sipprelle's and Rush Holt's debate; the 2nd in District 12. Moderated by NJ 101.5's Eric Scott, this debate was quite the spectacle and I was thrilled I had the chance to go.

Scott Sipprelle did fantastic job in articulating his positions. While Rush Holt and Democrats think his finance and business background is a detriment to his potential public service, I think it's further incentive to vote for Scott. In a time of economic strife, Scott has the knowledge, thanks to his profession, on how to create jobs and grow the economy; something the Democrat leadership doesn't seem to know how to do. I was also pleased to see him not take Holt's false accusations laying down, standing up for himself, defending himself and making full mention of inconsistencies in Holt's statements. Surprisingly, Holt took ownership of his votes for healthcare and the stimulus, a bill which he claimed, after being pressed by Eric Scott, "thousands" of jobs. This was not the only time Eric Scott asked Holt for a follow-up (he did with both candidates at times), but there were many times where those present saw Holt obfuscate, step on words and act like an entitled Congressman. Holt continues to accuse Scott of aligning himself with the same people on Wall Street who destroyed the economy, yet he goes to them to fundraise.

It is my hope that moments from this debate go viral and I will do my part by posting Scott Sipprelle's opening statement:



I will look for the rest of the debate to be on YouTube and I suggest watching it. It gives a very telling look at what kind of Congressman Rush Holt has been and why the 12th District should elect Scott Sipprelle as their new Congressman.

No comments:

Post a Comment